Tuesday, July 13, 2010

July 5-6, 2010 Delhi

Hello again!
The schedule has been very tight with very little time to blog. We've also discovered that it takes a long time to upload photos, so I haven't accomplished that either. I hope you will continue to read and check the links I include, and will enjoy the photos of this amazing trip when I finally get my photos uploaded.
A highlight of the Delhi segment of the trip was our introduction to the organization of the school system, the goals and challenges, supported by visits to governments schools (very few resources, untrained teachers), government subsidized private schools (some improvement in resources and teacher training) and private schools. All students begin school in their home language and English instruction begins in Gr. 1 or Gr. 3. I have collected samples of the math and reading workbooks and hope to use some of the exercises with my own students! This early introduction to English instruction, the language of higher education in India, is one advantage that the Indian children have over the Chinese students at this point in time, as I see it.

We also visited the Qutab Minar, (built in 1193), passed a gorgeous Bahai Temple (Lotus Temple--see gorgeous night photo), and Humayun's Tomb.

All Indians were thrilled that the monsoons began on July 4th, but since that time there has been flooding that caused loss of life, crops, and property. I glimpled a headline blaming for the government of Punjab for not responding quickly enough to the emergency flood situation. This reminded me blaming our Administration for failing to respond quickly enough to the BP oil spill. I just don't understand how governments can be "blamed" for "acts of God" or major industrial accidents . . .

We will return to Delhi intermittently as we travel to board trains and flights to the other cities on our itinerary. So much to see, so little time!

Next stop, Shimla!

Namascar!

No comments:

Post a Comment